BAREFOOT-LIKE FIT WITH PROTECTIVE EDGE
Adding lightweight reinforcement to an established running design, the Nike Free Run 2 Men's Shoe is made to optimize the foot's natural range of motion in a supportive fit for superior flexibility and traction.
- Combination mesh and textile upper reinforced with lightweight, strong synthetic strips for durability and support
- Inner-sleeve for a snug fit and enhanced breathability
- Fused Phylite midsole and outsole for an ultra-lightweight, resilient ride
- Deep flex grooves along the outsole for a natural range of motion and flexibility
- Waffle lugs at the outsole for impact absorption and traction
- Asymmetrical lacing system to help reduce pressure over the top of the foot
Nike Free Origins
After learning that Stanford athletes had been training barefoot on the university's golf course, three of Nike's most innovative and creative employees set out to develop a shoe that felt natural and weightless, similar to bare feet. In 2002, they examined a group of men and women with pressure-measuring insoles taped to their feet, using high-speed cameras to capture images of each foot in motion.
The team spent eight years studying the biomechanics of shoeless running. The results yielded a profound understanding of the foot's natural landing angle, pressure and toe position, allowing Nike designers to build an unconventional and flexible running shoe from the inside out.