NATURAL BAREFOOT-LIKE FEEL
The Nike Free 5.0+ Men's Running Shoe provides the foot strengthening benefits of natural motion, along with the cushioning, traction and underfoot protection of a traditional shoe.
The flex groove outsole-made up of deep cuts along the length and width of the midsole-enhances natural range of motion, encourages a smooth, efficient stride and helps maintain stability.
A low-profile midsole delivers a natural barefoot-like feel. It features the highest offset offered by Nike Free running shoes, with an 8mm difference between heel and forefoot height for greater cushioning while still promoting a natural stride. Plus, the Phylite material in the midsole is tough enough to double as an outsole, dramatically reducing the shoe's overall weight.
The Nike Free 5.0+ is the most supportive of the Nike Free family thanks to ultra-light Flywire technology. This updated version of Flywire consists of soft yet durable cables that wrap the midfoot and arch from underneath the foot for a glove-like, supportive fit that adapts to your stride.
Nike Free Origins
After learning that Stanford athletes had been training barefoot on the university's golf course, three of Nike's most innovative and creative employees set out to develop a shoe that felt natural and weightless, similar to bare feet. In 2002, they examined a group of men and women with pressure measuring insoles taped to their feet, using high-speed cameras to capture images of each foot in motion.
The team spent eight years studying the biomechanics of shoeless running. The results yielded a profound understanding of the foot's natural landing angle, pressure and toe position, allowing Nike designers to build an unconventional and flexible running shoe from the inside out.
Learn more about Nike Free.
- Textured mesh full inner sleeve for a dynamic, sock-like fit and easy on and off
- No-sew and synthetic overlays for lightweight durability and support
- Asymmetrical lacing system for reduced pressure on the top ridge of the foot
- Diagonal cuts through the arch to encourage natural motion and help increase foot strength
- Minimalistic, moulded sockliner mimics the foot's curvature for a great fit, enhanced comfort and added support
- Abrasion-resistant rubber under high-wear areas for enhanced durability
- Waffle outsole pistons for impact absorption and added responsiveness
- Nike+ ready
- Weight: 232 grams (men's size 8)
- Offset: 8mm
What You Should Know About Nike FreeNike Frees are different than traditional athletic shoes. They’re designed to let your feet move more freely and naturally, which means your muscles will be doing a bit more work than demanded of them in some other athletic shoes. Nike encourages you to get used to them gradually for a safer, more effective and more enjoyable experience.